The Stynmets – Sip House

 

Extracted from Pre-Revolutionary Dutch Houses and Families
in Northern New Jersey and Southern New York
by Rosalie Fellows Bailey, A.B., 1936

sip2

This house stands on a tract conveyed by the patentee in 1699 to his son-in-law Christophel Stynmets, who had settled here a few years previously.  It was sold between 1750 and 1762 to Arie Sip whose descendants owned it until about 1900.  The home of Christophel Stynmets is the small unit at the rear of the house, with one door, one window, and chimney.  Like all the earliest houses, it faces south.  Its very thick stone walls are faced with clapboarding on the outside and roughly plastered in the interior.  The next unit, built by Halmagh Sip, was added at right angles and faces the river and the road.  Its dressed stone front and trapezoidal stone lintels are typical of certain houses built a short time before the Revolution.  The largest section of the house was probably built a few years after the war.  The stonework in the side wall of this unit is as carefully cut and finished as in the front wall.  The gradual increase in length, depth and height of the units is typical of Dutch houses and of the periods represented.