THE SOLDIERS AND SAILORS MONUMENT

 

Reprinted from Passaic County Historical Society Newsletter
Volume 1973 / No. 1
Vincent Marchese

The morning was dark and stormy. A light drizzle fell, and many an expectant heart was filling with disappointment in view of the inclement character of the weather. The date, November 26, 1868, was Thanksgiving Day.

Informal meetings of committees in charge of festivities were held at an early hour, and it was generally resolved by each to postpone the proposed celebration. About half past ten, however, there was a change in the weather. The wind veered around sharply, clouds broke away, and signs of clearing were manifest. Plans for the festivities were resumed–parades, excursions, fairs, dinners, and the laying of the cornerstone for the Soldiers and Sailors Monument.

The first event on the program was the Fireman’s parade and reception of the Number 4 steamer. Originally, the parade line was scheduled to form at eight o’clock in the morning. However, at that hour, it had been raining furiously, and although several of the companies were on hand, it was resolved to postpone the affair until the weather cleared. When it did, each company intuitively marshaled its forces and proceeded to the appointed starting point at the corner of Mill and John Streets. After the Firemen’s parade, the new steamer was taken to the raceway, and a good trail proved her all that she represented.

The next major event in the day’s activities was the ceremony of the laying of there cornerstone for the Soldiers and Sailors Monument located on Table Rock by the Great Falls in the Totowa section of Paterson.

The line of march for this ceremony was formed on Colt Street at Market Street and was as follows:

Police
Marshall and Aids
Band

Soldiers and Sailors Monument Association of Passaic County

Orator and General John COCHRANE of New York
Chosen Board of Freeholders of Passaic County
Mayor and Alderman of the City of Paterson

The Board of Education
Passaic Water Company

U.S., State, County, and City Officials
Clergy, Press, and legal professions

Veteran soldiers and sailors under Capt. Wm. BUCKLY

New Jersey Rifle Battalion Under Major TAYLOR
Kearney Rifle Corps. under Capt. MILNE

Fire Department of the City of Paterson

Under Chief and Assistant Engineer
Civic societies by seniority of organization

I.O. of O.F.
Sons of Erin
Druids

Protestant Association
St. Patrick’s Temperance Benevolent Society
Catholic Young Men’s Association

Webster’s Literary Association

St. John’s Temperance Society
Young Mens Christian Association

Other civic societies

Masonic Fraternity

Citizens
Carriages

The route of the march to the Monument Heights went as follows: The parade proceeded through Congress to Main Street, across the West Street Bridge to Water Street to Hamburg Avenue up to Union Avenue. The parade then turned left on Albion Avenue to Totowa Avenue through the Passaic Water Company grounds up to the Heights.

The procession formed around the base of the Monument in the following order: The Monument Association stood on the east face, the ladies on the platform; the press on the platform; the County and City officials on the east face; the military on the south face; the firemen on the west face, and the civic societies on the north face.

All in all, about 1,500 to 2,000 people were gathered. A rope had been stretched around the base of the monument, leaving an enclosure of about 150 to 200 feet in diameter, which was kept clear by a guard of militia.

The ceremonies were opened by a prayer by the Rev. John H. DURYEA, D.D., pastor of the Second Reformed Church, located on Temple and Water Streets. Some national airs were then played by one of the bands, after which the cornerstone was laid by Rev. Wm. H. HORNBLOWER, D.D., pastor of the First Presbyterian Church. Rev. HORNBLOWER stated that as a representative of the people of Passaic County, he laid the stone in the name of God, and hoped the divine architect would approve of the deed, that it was just and right that a monument should be erected to the memory of those who had fallen in battle and to transmit to future generations the evidence of our love for our county and its people.

Placed in the cornerstone were many documents. The following is a list of the articles:

A roll of Army and Navy Veterans Association with names and photographs of officers and members

History of Monument Association with names and photographs of members and also of the architect of the Heights

Resolution of the Common Council and names of other officers and members

Resolution of the Board of Freeholders and names of officers and members

Decision of the City and County attorneys

Deed of ground, by Passaic Valley Water Company

Design of the monument

Copies of the Paterson Guardian 13, 14, and 16 of November, 1868

Explanatory note

Description of Paterson

Copy of Engraving by R.H. NORRIS

All the different coins and currency of the United States

Badge of Army and Navy Veterans Association

Badges of different Clubs

Copy of Seal of the Association

Ulster County Gazette, year 1800 with a description of death and funeral of General Washington

Paterson Guardian of November 25 and Press of 24 and 25

New York daily papers

Badge of mourning of Abraham Lincoln and card, by Miss Mary A. PATON

Pictures of Andersonville Prison by Oliver B. FAIRBANKS

Harpers and Frank Leslies Pictorials

Cape May Wave

Army and Navy Journal

Soldiers Friend

Chicago-Tribune

The Presbyterian.

American cents of 1791 and 1802, and 1/2 cent of 1807 by Jas. INGLIS

Roll and bylaws of engine Co. No. 3 of Paterson

Two photographs of Passaic Falls by Reid

Package of coins from A. HENDERSON, Geo. PERRY, and John J. WARREN

Chain of coin from Mrs. J.W. DREW

Spanish coin of 1725 by Miss Susie CLOSE

Confederate money by J.W. DREW

Coin from Mrs. Jane PARKER

Register of New Jersey Vol’s.

Copy of resolution of 41st Congress making appropriation of Cannon for Monument

Record of Kearny Rifles of Paterson

Following the sealing of the stone, the band played “Hail Columbia.” A benediction was then delivered by the Rev. John H. DURYEA. The various groups and citizens formed in the parade line and proceeded down the hill to the other festivities of the day.

The Monument was built in 1870 The design of the edifice was a square shaft built largely of brown sandstone with Italian marble tablets inlaid to receive the names of those heroes whose loss it commemorates. On the one side it the New Jersey coat of arms with sculptured flags and cannon. On the other side was the Passaic County coat of arms. From the base, a square tapering shaft rose, traversed by several bands of Nova Scotia stone, on which appeared the names of battles in which Passaic County was represented. They include Antietam, Fredericksburg, Fair Oaks, South Mountain, Williamsburgh, Vicksburg, Petersburg, Spottsylvania, Roanoke, Gettysburgh, and Mission Ridge. The column of the monument was finished with a semi-Corinthian capital on top of which appeared the statue of Captain Hugh C. IRISH, Company K, Thirteenth Regiments NJ Vols., then located on Broadway in Paterson. Capt. Irish was killed September 17, 1862 while fighting the battle of Antietam. The figure, eight feet in height and made of Italian marble is in full uniform and equipment, looking south.

The Monument was originally under the care of the Passaic County Board of Freeholders, but by 1920, the marks of time and the results of vandalism caused the menders of the Grand Army of the Republic to petition the Board to have it moved. A campaign was started to have the Monument not only moved but rebuilt in a place that would be safer and more easily accessible. The Freeholders agreed to take charge, rebuilding it of granite, and moving it to Eastside Park (Paterson).

The rededication ceremonies took place on Memorial Day, 1922.

The restored memorial is made of “Rock of Ages” granite and weights more than 100 tons. It stands 48 feet high, and the statue on top has been waterproofed by a special process which will enable it to last as long as the granite itself.

Below the names of the battles are four bronze tablets with appropriate inscriptions.

On one is an excerpt from Lincoln’s Second Inaugural address which reads: “with malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right, let us strive on to firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in to bind up the nations wounds; to care for him, who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan: to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves with all nations.”

Another is headed “Honor The Brave.” Under the heading is, “The War of 1861-1865 was waged successfully for preservation of the Union as a nation, one and indivisible, now and for all time.”

The third reads: “Passaic County Soldiers and Sailors Monument to commemorate the services and record the names of her soldiers and sailors who gave their lives in the War for the Union.”

The last reads: “This monument, erected in 1922, under the supervision of the Board of Chosen Freeholders of the County of Passaic, is a replica of the original Monument erected in 1870 on Monument Heights, Passaic Falls, by the Passaic County Soldiers and Sailors Monument Association, organized Sept. 17, 1867.”

Following is a listing of those veterans inscribed on the Soldiers and Sailors Monument at Eastside Park, Paterson:

And’r. H. ACKERMAN
Wm. 
ACKERMAN
Joseph 
ADAMS
Thos. 
ADAMS
Chas. 
ANYS
Rich’d. 
ASHWORTH
Jacob 
BAKER
Wm. 
BARIY
Michael 
BARLOW
Nath’l. L. 
BARNES
Wm. C. 
BEGGS
Wm. M. 
BELL
Geo. A. 
BERDAN
Wm. J. 
BERESFORD
Ralph 
BERTHOLT
Edwin 
BIRLEY
Alfred J. 
BLANCHARD
David A. 
BOGERT
John C. 
BOGERT
Peter 
BOONE
Curtis 
BOWNE
Wm. C. 
BOONE
And’r. J. 
BROEGHTON
W.H. 
BROOKS
Cor’s. 
BROWER
Elsworth 
BROWER
Walter W. 
BROWN
Jas. 
BROWN
John 
BRUAN
Martin 
BRUAN
Ralph 
BUCKLEY
Geo. 
BUGGINS
Syl’v. B. 
BURNHAM
Francise 
BUTLER
Thos. 
BURLEIGH
Andrew 
CAMPBELL
Cor’s. 
CAMPBELL
Wm. 
CASSIDY
Jas. 
CAVENAGH
Lee 
CHARDEVOYNE
S.B. 
CHARDEVOYNE
John 
CHRISTIE
Jas. 
CLARK
Wm. 
CLARK
Jas. 
CLEGG
John 
COCHRANE
David 
COCOROON
Geo. W. 
COLE
John G. 
COLLINS
Henry 
CONKLIN
Rhyneer 
CONKLIN
John 
CONKLINS
Jas. 
CONWAY
Jas. 
COONEY
John 
CORRIGAN
Wm. 
CUTHBERG
Chas. 
DANFORTH
John E. 
DAVENPORT
Geo. W. 
DAVIDSON
John 
DEBCHANT
Selar 
DECKER
Flinton 
DELANY
Michael 
DELANY
Mart. V.B. 
DEMAREST
Sam 
DEMAREST
Fred’k. 
DEMOUTH
Harrison 
DEMOUTH
John 
DEVORE
Harrison 
DEWORTH
Rob’t. 
DILLON
Jas. 
DOBSON
John H. 
DOREMUS
Peter J. 
DOREMUS
Matt J. 
DOUGHERTY
Geo. 
DOUGHERTY
Geo. W. 
DOUGLAS
Joseph J. 
DREW
Tho’s. 
EAVES
Fred’k. 
EHRNEST
Isaac 
ELLISON
John 
EMERSON
Wm. J. 
EVANS
N.P. 
FAIRBANKS
Richard 
FAIRCLOUGH
John 
FARROLL
Peter B. 
FENWICK
Thos. 
FINLEY
Thos. 
FLANNIGAN
John W. 
FLAVELL
Jas. 
FLETCHER
Joseph 
FOSBEND
John K. 
FRANK
Eben E. 
FREELAND
Henry 
FREELAND
John H. 
FREELAND
Wm. 
FREELAND
Rob’t. 
GAMMELL
Geo. W. 
GARRIBRANT
Jas. I. 
GARRIBRANT
Rob’t. A. 
GARRISON
Chas. 
GAUKLE
Fred’k. 
GILMORE
Ab’m. 
GODWIN
Sydney 
GOULDING
Jas. 
GRAHAM
David 
HALLIWELL
Tho’s. 
HALLIWELL
Wm. E. 
HALSTEAD
John 
HAMMER
Jessie 
HAND
Henry M.D. 
HART
Ab’m. 
HARVEY
Robert 
HARVEY
Tho’s. 
HENDERSON
Henry J. 
HENDRICKS
Henry 
HENEY
Tho’s. 
HELIUS
Gotleibe 
HESKE
Talman 
HICKERSON
Johnathan 
HILTON
Morris 
HINCHY
Wm. 
HOLT
Everett 
HORSEN
Jas. 
HUGHES
Joseph 
HULL
Hugh C. 
IRISH
Sam’l. 
JACKSON
Philip J.W. 
JEBB
John M. 
JUNERNEY
Fred’k. 
KANE
Thos. 
KEMEDY
Andrew 
KEIFE
Michael 
KELLER
Fred’k. C. 
KING
Henry 
KISSOCK
Emile 
LABIAUN
James 
LAWSON
John 
LEE
Owen 
LOGUE
John 
MACK
Rich’d. 
MAGERSON
John 
MARKHAM
Abram 
MARGROFF
Chas. 
MATANIA
Wm. 
MC CLOUD
Alex’r. MC GILL
John 
MC GOVERN
Ew’d. MC KIERMAN
John 
MC LAUGHLIN
John 
MC MULLEN
Cor. 
MESSERAU
John 
MENISH
Ed’w. 
MEWHINNEY
Geo. 
MEYERS
Louis 
MILLER
Wm. 
MITCHELL
Peter 
MONKS
Sydney K. 
MONKS
Wm. 
MONKS
John 
MORAN
Jessie B. 
MORRIS
Rich’d. 
MOSLEY
Rich’d. R. 
MOSLEY
Jacob 
NEES
Joh’thn 
OLIVER, Jr.
Jacob 
O’NEIL
John 
O’NEIL
Dan’l. 
OSTRANDER
Dav. H. 
OSTRANDER
Jacob 
OTT
James 
PARLIMENT
Ebenezer 
PARKER
Rich’d. 
PERRINE
Abram 
PITTENGER
Jas. D. 
PITTENGER
Rich’d. 
POHLMAN
Anthony 
POST
Jacob 
POST
Wm. 
POTTS
Lew’n. J. 
PROBERT
Neh’mh. J. 
PULIS
Pat 
RAFFERTY
Rob’t. 
REDMAN
John D. 
REDNER
Joseph 
REIGAN
Dan’l. 
ROCHE
David 
RUSSELL
Chas. A. 
RYERSON
Peter M. 
RYERSON
Michael 
RYAN
Edwin 
RYAN
Thos. 
SANDS
H. 
SAXON
John 
SCALLAN
John C. 
SCOTT
Squire 
SHARPE
Chas. 
SHAUGER
Wm. 
SHERWIN
Benj. 
SHERWOOD
Robt. 
SHERWOOD
Wm. H. 
SHIPPEE
Isaac 
SILCOX
Geo. 
SISCOE
Wm. 
SKINNER
John 
SLATER
James 
SMITH, Jr.
James 
SNYDER
John N. 
STERLING
Wm. 
STEVENSON
Christian 
STOCK
John 
SWIFT
Joseph 
THACKRAY
David 
TUERS
Lucas 
TUERS
Martin 
VAN BUREN
Garret H. 
VAN DIEN
Isaac 
VAN GIESON
John 
VAN HOUTEN
Jos. H. VAN HOUTEN
Chas. 
VAN ORDEN
Rich’d. 
VAN ORDEN
And’w. G. 
VAN RIPER
H.P.J. 
VAN VLADACKEN
Thos. 
VASEY
David 
VEADER
Geo. E. 
VESCEILUS
John 
VOORHIS
John 
VREELAND
Alex 
WATT
James 
WATSON
John 
WEBB
F.S. 
WELLER
John B. 
WHITE
John 
WHITFORD
Jas. S. 
WILLIAMS
John 
WILLIAMS
Thos. 
WILLIAMS
Adam 
WILLIAMSON
Chas. 
WILLIAMSON
Wm. 
WILLIAMSON
Anssey 
WILLIS
Joseph 
WINTERS
Thos. 
WOODS
Wm. 
WOODS
Jacob 
WOODWARD
John E. 
WOODWARD
John 
ZABRISKIE

Copyright ©2000 by The Passaic County Historical Society Genealogy Club. All rights reserved. This site may be freely linked to, and information found on these pages may be used for personal use and by libraries and genealogical societies. Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior permission. If any pages are copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information.