The City of Passaic Newspapers

 

Extracted from History of Bergen and Passaic Counties, New Jersey…., p. 385
by W. Woodford Clayton, 1882

1882

NEWSPAPERS. – Passaic has two daily and two weekly newspapers.

The Passaic Item was established July 9, 1870, by Alfred Speer, and was the first newspaper in the place.  Mr. Speer was induced to establish a local printing press and paper for the purpose of developing the interests of Passaic and as a means of advertising his own extensive business.  In this way, he has made it profitable, and at the same time has furnished a lively paper of local interest to quite a large circle of readers.  It is still under his own editorial management.  The Item is an eight-page weekly, twenty by thirty inches in dimensions.  It has been quite successful as an organ of retrenchment and reform in the affairs of the city government.

The Passaic City Herald (weekly) was established in 1871, by Orrin Vanderhoven.  It is in size twenty-eight by forty-two inches, thirty-two columns, and Democratic in politics.

At the same office is published the Passaic Daily, a sprightly little paper, devoted to local news and the interests of the city.  It was started July 14, 1881, by the Passaic Printing and Publishing Company, under whose auspices it is at present continued.

Mr. Vanderhoven is one of the veteran journalists of New Jersey, having been formerly editor and proprietor of the Paterson Guardian from the date of its inception till the founding of his present paper in 1871.

The Passaic City Daily News was first published by John F. Frost and Arthur Sawyer, Aug. 1, 1877.  It is a twenty-column paper, twenty-six by forty-two inches in size, published every day, and is devoted to the local interests of Passaic, being independent in politics.  Arthur Sawyer is now the editor and publisher, Mr. Frost having retired in 1878.  The Daily News bespeaks enterprise in its management and reading matter and is a successful contribution to local journalism.